Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Some of the most important stories of the day . . .
Economy and Business
- Obama to sign $410 billion dollar spending bill; admits it was stuffed with pork by Congress, vows to limit pork next time
- Big banks strike again: Didn't pay their FDIC premiums for 10 years
- CFR: The shadow financial system – as illustrated in three new papers that cut through the London fog
- Geithner: U.S. "in a deep mess" but we will fix it
- Overvalued euro set to plunge "within months"?
- US companies pull out of retirement contributions
- In 2006 interview, Jim Cramer admitted to market manipulation
- Pulitzer-Prize Winning Investigative Reporter Seymour Hersh: Military Ran an "Executive Assassination Ring" Throughout the Bush Years Which Reported Directly to Cheney (background)
- Iran nuclear plant to open for tourists to highlight peaceful intentions
- Poll: Americans evenly divided between liberals/progressives and conservatives/libertarians (background)
- Ron Paul: Obama foreign policy identical to bush
- AIPAC kills nomination of Charles Freeman as Chair of National Intelligence Council (Freeman's own statement)
- Pelosi using air force planes as her "personal airline", according to Fox news
- Ocean said to be more acidic than at any time since dinosaurs, and rising twice as fast as forecast 2 years ago
- Google tests service that examines what its users do on other Web sites to help it target advertising, raising privacy concerns.
- Big spenders are becoming frugal; the already-frugal are becoming even more frugal
This roundup may be updated periodically throughout the day.